Last year I wrote the following (now edited for 2014) goals. I literally didn't achieve a single one. BUT I still consider the year a success because I made progress, however minimal, on a couple. And after re-reading them this New Years...I still really like them and they get to stay around for another year. I was so confident that 2013 would be my year to finally start kicking butt and taking names and it so so so wasn't. But a crazy thing has happened to this list-making-goal-setting girl, I've learned to dwell on them less. I'm learning, finally, to value relationship more than busyness. People more than tasks. That said, adding a second child to our family also made me more dependent on lists than ever. I'm absolutely hopeless on errand day without one:)
2014 Focus Statement:
To grow in my relationship with God, love my husband and kids better, and simplify my home and life.
To fall forward, into the music, when I mis-step.
To grow with God:
- I want to pursue God daily, alone and with my children. Weekly with women and my church.
- I want to incorporate God into my daily routines with kids. Praying before meals, etc.
- Read the 'spiritual' books I've collected but have never gotten to, prioritize these before "for fun" reading. (See my list here)
- I need to make sure I'm taking care of my physical and emotional needs. I easily fall into the trap of taking care of everyone else first and then having nothing left over for myself. Then I snap or break or breakdown, and that's not good for anyone! This is more like my traditional 'lists' of goals for a new year.
- Get my haircut more than twice this year! I want to grow it out again. I really am not enjoying it short.
- Regularly take time for myself: massages, pedicures, etc.
- Lose the baby weight!
- Plan alone days to read, clean, craft, etc.
- Write more. Blog more frequently- quit waiting for 'inspiration' or the perfect topic. This really helps me clear my head and process things.
- Get a tattoo. Actually two. I want my boys on me.
- Plan and execute at least one but preferably two 'girls only' weekends.
- Read the marriage/parenting books sitting on my shelf. (See list here)
To simplify my home and life:
- Decorate house with pictures and art!
- Simplify. Get rid of stuff we don't need/use. De-clutter.
- Finish (start) organizing and scanning Grandma's pictures. Mail to Carolyn.
- Make shutterfly (or something similar) books.
- Craft more- finish projects I've been holding onto, or scrap them.
- Read the books I own but have never read...at least one shelf of the three. At the end of 2013, donate any books I know I'll never get to (the ones that have been on this list for years and years). If I haven't read them at this point, chances are they're never going to be high enough on my priority list and I should just quit storing them.