Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dizzy

I recently read a book that has my head spinning. Created to Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl. All you need to do is google it to see how controversial it is. When I started the book, I was so excited because it's very counter-cultural and takes a hard look at submission for the wife from a biblical perspective. I even mentioned to a leader in our church about starting a women's study using the book. After finishing the book my review is short and sweet. "Don't waste your time." There's a little bit of really great truth in there, but a whole lot (and I mean a ton) of red flags. This book MUST be read with a prayerful and discerning heart, and preferably with additional guidance and advice from other mature women of faith.

Now, with that disclaimer, I am inspired to explore submission and God's design for marriage more thoroughly. Just yesterday I cracked open The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. So far, so good.

I just feel like, God created me with my fiesty and strong personality, and there just HAS to be a way for me to be respectful, submissive, loving, and honoring and still stay true to myself.

But I'm also willing to change...if need be, and I think the need is be:) I love my hubby dearly and I think our marriage is in a pretty good place but I have this haunting feeling that it could be even better if I would get over myself, figure out what God wants from me, and then become that woman.

Such a daunting challenge.

I'm wondering what books on submission, respect, strong women, biblical marriage, etc you've read? And why should I read them? And if you go to AC3 or live in the Marysville/Arlington area, are you interested in working through some of these with me? This would be a serious group, with time commitments, reading homework, and some serious heart-work going on.

Leave a comment or message me your recommendations and if you're interested in meeting with me, your contact info.

No comments:

Post a Comment