Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Facebook Makes Me Sad.

I'm sure, if you're on facebook, you've seen the recent results of a study that shows the more you use facebook the sadder you tend to be.

And if you know me, you know I have a love/hate relationship with facebook.

I love it. I really do. I keep up with far flung friends and family, I get to see glimpses into my friends daily lives, watch their kids and pets grow up and do silly things, celebrate triumphs, mourn losses, prayer for those close to me as well as perfect strangers, the 'community' and camaraderie help keep me sane as a wife, mom, teacher, human.

But I hate it. It's addicting. I too often choose it over real people, namely my husband and sons. It's depressing to watch people get new cars, go on vacations, buy new homes, new clothes, new electronics, post happy pictures. I feel left out when people post pictures of events that I wasn't invited to or couldn't make it to. Or when a friend seems to be spending a lot of time with other people and not me. When other people get jobs, get raises, etc. It's one sided. Because I'm not really involved in their lives I don't know what is really going on. I don't know the whole picture. So it just leaves me feeling like everyone else has it easy and intentionally leaves me out.

And right when the results of this study were posted, I was (am currently) struggling with my contentment, my joy, my hope and I notice these things being directly negatively influenced by what I see on facebook.

So tonight, I'm going to tie up some loose ends and then take a break. I don't know how extreme or a time frame. But to be convicted, to see the negative results and do nothing- just isn't an option any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment