Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Love and Respect

On the recommendation of our pastor and numerous friends, I'm finally reading Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs. And I must say, that for all everyone raves about this book- I'm just not getting it. The guy is w.o.r.d.y. and l o n g w i n d e d and repetitiverepetitive. Despite that, it is good stuff. I'm just tired of Dr. E "yelling" at me as if I'm some bitter angry woman who henpecks my husband to death, has zero respect for him, and isn't willing to change until he proves himself to be 100% perfect.

Let's be honest, I'm not perfect, no where near it- and I KNOW IT. Thank you very much. So why would I require him to be?

That's why I'm reading your book.

To try and do a better job at being an awesome wife.

So I'm trying Dr. Eggerichs. That's why I'm reading your book. So give me some freaking credit please.

Is this terrible- but I think I'd like the non-Christian version of this book soooo much better. Or maybe the John Ortberg version of this book.

(Side note: John Ortberg's The Life You've Always Wanted is the "for dummies" version of Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. The latter took me over a year to read and hurt my head worse than some of my college statistics homework, while Ortberg's was easy and smooth to read and made a huge impact on me in a week or two. I highly recommend it...maybe I should revisit it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment